Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time to Peace Out


I’m leaving, on a jet plane, not sure when I’ll be back again, to live and teach English in a relatively unknown and developing country: Georgia. I’m sure the vast majority of people don’t know the meaning of the word “conation,” unless of course you’re like me, and spent time memorizing an unknown number of obscure words for the GRE. Obtaining a secure grasp on that mystical subject of geography is a rare feat for many of us Americans, so the term “Caucasus” may be just as alien as the concept of conation. I’ll clarify both, with some insight by long deceased philosophers.

According to Scottish philosopher Sir William Hamilton, "If we take the Mental to the exclusion of material phenomena, that is, phenomena manifested through the medium of Self-Consciousness or Reflection, they naturally divide themselves into the three categories or primary genera; the phenomena of Knowledge or Cognition, the phenomena of Feeling or of Pleasure and Pain [affective], and the phenomena of Conation or Will and Desire." Conation is the instigation and regulation of behavior; it is what impels action, whereas the cognitive compels.

Conation is a basic endeavor-the source of all striving, longing, ambition and self-expression. It is the tendency for a person to persist against obstacles, the very essence of the person, for it is through conation that one perseveres in one's own being. Conation is the obtaining of means and making effective use of such means.

Ultimately, conation is ones concept of coming to terms with the world: it is self-actualization, the matrix of all motivation. Only through living productively, with constant vigilance, activity, and effort can we avoid failure and the one task that matters most-the full development of our talents without the limitations set by the laws of our existence…to be yourself and achieve happiness by the full realization of those faculties which are particularly inherent, disparate from others and unique to the individual.


In short, conation is action derived from instinct- a purposeful mode of striving, volition. Volition (will) is an act of the mind leading to action and the power to produce it. Turning ones thoughts inward on what passes in the mind allows one to see that volition is conversant upon that particular determination of the mind whereby the mind endeavors to give rise, continuation or stop to any action which it takes to be in its power. No other of man’s activities reaches so far in its consequences, both to the individual and to society, as does that of his will. History is a record of mans strivings and failures-the social and ethical sciences are founded on it. Culture and civilization depend on the regulated volitions, repressions, and inhibitions of individuals and nations.

As for the next term, a succinct explanation will suffice. The Caucasus is a mountain system in Eurasia spread out through the countries of Russia, Georgia, Turkey, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. Mount Elbrus, at 18,510 feet, is the highest peak of the mountain system.

Basically, like many young adults in their early 20’s, who have recently graduated, I have no idea what the hell I want to do with my life. One thing’s for sure: I do not want to be stuck in some office, with fluorescent lights, cubicles, robot like co-workers on autopilot, and an asshole boss (think Office Space) for the rest of my life. The mundane aspect and inevitable boredom would kill me. Remember the scene with the receptionist who says “Just a moment” repeatedly in the same exact high-pitched voice/tone over and over again? To me, that’s a prescription for Prozac. Unfortunately, I’m one those people who constantly crave (and almost live for) new, novel experiences, spontaneity, and stimulation. I constantly long for the different, random, and foreign aspects of life. Without such change, I feel listless, bored, unchallenged, and ultimately unfulfilled.

I’ve always wanted to live and work abroad, as well as travel extensively. That has been my will (with volition and conation intertwined). Since I lack a well defined career goal, I figured the best way to develop one would be moving thousands of miles away to a developing country. I promise though, there’s a method to my madness, and I’ve got some good vibrations about this little trip. Of course I’ll miss my friends, family, dog, and chick ‘fil a (who wouldn’t miss this culinary sensation and gustatory delight?) Thankfully, someone invented Skye, probably Al Gore, and keeping in touch is as simple as getting car insurance with Geiko. MGMT said it best: “I’m feelin rough, I’m feelin raw I’m in the prime of my life…This is our decision to live fast and die young. We’ve got the vision, now let’s have some fun. Yeah it’s overwhelming, but what else can we do, get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute? I’ll miss the comfort of my mother and the weight of the world. I’ll miss my [brother], miss my father, miss my dog and my home. Yeah, I’ll miss the boredom and the freedom and the time spent alone. Love must be forgotten, life can always start up anew.”


Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building.

2 comments:

  1. farewell, bon voyage! i will miss you soo much.

    i enjoyed your thorough post, but remember one thing when writing the next one. it's called short and sweet. haha. jk. i know you're gonna have a lot to say but keep it to a minimum or i wont be able to keep up!
    thanks to al gore we can skype all the details. pronounce details "da-tails" like those phony news anchors.

    i'm excited to hear how this all goes. it's gonna be grand.

    godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conation- a nation of Conan lovers and devoted followers!

    ReplyDelete